Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Flea Market Treasure...A Vintage Cat In The Hat...And I Really ♥ That!

Vintage Cat In the Hat by Joni Nickrent copyright 2011
A Pop Art Mini inspired by my Cat In The Hat Treasure!

I hadn't been to the Long Beach Flea Market in quite a few weeks, but today I decided was the day that I would go (along with my Daughter, Emily) and I just knew that there was a treasure or two with my name on it! And guess what? I was right! Yep, not 15 minutes after we arrived I found one timely treasure (that I'll share in another post because I have an awesomely fun project planned for it) and in the last aisle we found treasure #2 . . . a 1960's Vintage plush Cat in the Hat character!


WOW! My eyes took a double take as I walked quickly over to the prize...lifted it gently from it's current place of honor and began the inspection.  Yes, he was far from perfect, but that just made him even more endearing to me...a patch on his face that had been lovingly stitched...a replaced stripe on his signature hat,

but with original tag still intact this Cat In The Hat was definitely all that! 
After a brief negotiation on the price and with the stipulation that I could have him for my offer if I agreed to give him a good home.
I enthusiastically answered...yes, yes, I can do that...why, I just love the Cat in the Hat. I do, I do...it's really true and the guy in the booth said then take him home with you!
And as I walked away, Cat in the Hat in hand...I thought to myself, I'm the luckiest treasure hunter in the land!